Exmoor circular walk – Dunkery and Horner Wood
There are lots of paths from Webbers Post car park with wonderful views. For a circular walk of around an hours duration follow the directions below.
1 hour duration
3 miles length
Dunkery and Horner Wood
- Starting at Webbers Post car park, follow the path through the gorse and across the road. Carry on climbing over 0.25 a mile.
- Continue along the path down into a combe. A small stream will cross the path after wet weather.
- Walk back up the hill after exiting the combe, until you reach a point where four paths meet. Here turn right, heading downhill towards the edge of the woodland.
- Continue down into the valley. The path becomes steep and rocky as you enter the tree line.
- Cross the footbridge over the river onto the road, and turn right.
- After a quarter of a mile, bear left off the road onto a path, just before the river crossed the road. Ignore the second fork to the left, continuing along the valley bottom
- Footbridges cross back and forth over the river. Ignore the first bridleway that descends from your left, and cross the river once more.
- Shortly after crossing the river, turn right. Follow the ‘Priestway’ (a bridleway) up and out of the valley – a little steep and rocky.
- The path reaches a broad flat track at the top of Horner Hill. From here turn right and you will find yourself back at the car park.
Other posts you may be interested in;